SIDS Youth AIMS Hub (SYAH) is a youth-led non-governmental organisation focused on advancing and implementing youth-led sustainable development in Small Island Developing States (SIDS) found in the Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean, and South China Sea (AIMS) region.
Owing to the geographical dispersion of SIDS within the AIMS region, lack of access to youth funding, and the common need to set up an entity that will enable SIDS youth within the AIMS region to collaborate on addressing common needs, the youth participants of the â€˜My World, My SIDS AIMS Regional Youth Meeting organized by UNESCO, UNICEF and other UN agencies and partners in Seychelles during July 2013, committed to set up a dynamic network of young people within the AIMS region. The creation of such a youth network was also endorsed by Governments in the AIMS region in the Outcome Document of the SIDS AIMS Regional High-Level Preparatory Meeting.
The objectives of SYAH are:
1. to provide a dedicated network that connects young people working for sustainable development in the Small Island Developing States (SIDS) of the Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean, and South China Sea (AIMS) region, namely Cape Verde, Comoros, Guinea Bissau, Maldives, Mauritius, SÃo Tome and Principe, Seychelles and Singapore;
2. to engage young people in playing an active role in the sustainable development of their country, region and globally, thereby promoting youth-led sustainable development;
3. to empower and build capacities of young people as effective sustainable development advocates and agents of change within the SIDS of the AIMS region;
4. to promote participatory governance, inclusive of youth from marginalised and minority groups, and provide a platform for young people to actively engage in sustainable development policy-and-decision-making processes nationally, regionally and globally;
5. to promote and support volunteering among young people in the SIDS of the AIMS region;
6. to promote and support research work done by youth in the area of sustainable development in the SIDS of the AIMS region; and
7. to build sustainable partnerships with relevant stakeholders in achieving the objectives of SYAH.